Re: [cdi-devel] Proposed Dynamic Driver Loading System

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 09:23:30AM +1000, Matthew Iselin wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 3:13 AM, Rich Edelman <redelman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> This would be an additional top-level C file, right? I don't think it's
> >> a good idea to manually create it and keep it in sync (especially
> >> considering that many OSes don't use all drivers), but generating such a
> >> file looks fine to me.
> >
> > I also agree that such a file should be generated. It'd not be too
> > hard to generate this list just from the drivers that were compiled,
> > rather than containing all the drivers.
>
> A simple <your scripting language here> script could be added and
> called to update the list during the build of CDI.

Actually I think C would be the right tool. Link all object files in the whole
tree together and add a small main() function that enumerates all the drivers
in it. All the parsing is done by the compiler.

> > I think this prototype is all wrong. Whatever it is that wants to load
> > another driver needs to pass a structure that describes the device a
> > driver is needed for. Driver's shouldn't be expected to know the name
> > of the driver they need for another device. Sure, they can get this
> > from the mapping file discussed previously, but I think that's wrong
> > as well. Such a file needs to really be internal to the CDI core, and
> > not something used by the drivers (only contributed to by the
> > drivers).
>
> Yes, this specifically is one thing I was very unsure about when I
> thought out the initial proposal. The main reason I brought it up was
> for a situation like this:
> 1. Plug in a USB device
> 2. The USB controller driver tells the  OS a new device is plugged in.
> Now the OS needs to figure out what driver to load for the device.
> The `cdi_load_driver' function is certainly incorrect here, but some
> sort of hook in CDI to inform the OS of a new device that has been
> added would help here.

Right, we're mostly complete on the device driver side, but the bus
driver side (providing/removing devices) is completely missing. However,
we seem to agree that this is the right interface for loading drivers,
so maybe the next step would be specifying the bus driver interface.

Actually, I think's quite boring. Some cdi_provide_device(struct
cdi_bus_addr*), a function for removing (probably takes the cdi_bus_addr
again?) and we're done. Finding good names might be the most difficult
thing in it. ;-)

Kevin